Saturday, January 10, 2009

Real Baby II


I walked in the door last night and I was greeted by Jenn. Jenn promptly asked me if I wanted to hold her baby. Jenn's baby was birthed by Realityworks inc. and this computerized infant simulator tracks how well Jenn cares for it. It needs to be fed, changed, burped and rocked. If you fail to figure out what the baby needs it has a wail that can be heard from any location in the house.
One of the objectives of this lesson is to demonstrate the impact babies have on a person’s lifestyle, extended family and future. This is a lesson that engages students in a way that is genuine and applicable to real life. The baby will be a part of Jenn's life until Monday.
Though the Real Baby II is the most advanced simulator on the market, there are a few changes I'd make. In order to truly enjoy the joys of motherhood the baby should be designed to projectile vomit. The current model comes with an obvious sound when the baby is pooping. I'd add in the ability to have an actual diaper overflow and a realistic accompanying odor.
Jenn is actively engaged in the experience and I'm sure she'll get some extra attention from our friends at church tomorrow (just like a real Mom would). This should be an interesting weekend.

No comments: